Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Insight

I received an email from the university I earned my degree in art from.  I just realized I will never be asked to show my work at the gallery in my own school.  Why?  I studied illustration, not contemporary art.  Why?  So I could earn a living doing what I loved.  

Since 1980, the Art Gym has been recognized as a venue that exhibits some of the most significant and timely art of this region.  The mission of the gallery is to increase public understanding of the contemporary art of the Pacific Northwest through exhibitions, artists' projects, publications and public engagement.  

The trade off for attending a local institution whose focus is an art form I do not practice is I will never be considered significant or timely in their eyes.  Regrets?  Now that I've had thirty years to think about it... I should have gone to a school specializing in illustration.  I do appreciate the education I received but it has proven to have limitations but I did what I had to do to earn a degree in art while raising three small children.  And I LOVE the art of illustration.  If I could go back in time and tell me what I should do I would advise - don't compromise on your dream.  If there is something you want to do, figure out a way to do it.  Not half of it or part of it, the whole thing.  Life is not a dress rehearsal.  Only you can make it happen so make it happen.  It won't be easy but then someone once told me a long time ago, if it was easy, you wouldn't appreciate it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment