Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Another blast from the past - Thoughts of Home

 
This piece was my introduction to colored pencils.  I had just received my commission as an officer in the military and I was deployed a long way from home training for Logistics Plans Management.  I brought along art materials that were easy to take with me and required minimal support equipment.  Up until then, I hadn't tried the medium.  Colored pencil wasn't taught in school because it's not a classic media and therefore not considered for anything beyond rough draft studies.  This drawing took me several months working on it in my spare time.  Along the way I found I appreciated the meditation-like time in the drawing process and I was hooked. This piece has won three Best in Shows and was retired to my own personal collection.   
 
"Thoughts of Home"
16 x 20"
Colored Pencil on Strathmore Drawing Paper

No comments:

Post a Comment