Friday, January 18, 2019

New pens

I bought a Noodler pen because it came highly recommended.  It had two things going for it that appealed to me.  First, it was made in America. I'll buy American made whenever possible (but it has to work).  Next, it had a refillable reservoir eliminating having to go the route of buying refills that are then thrown away when emptied.  I could never get the Noodler I received to fill it's reservoir so basically it is an expensive dip pen and not usable for sketching on site.  I looked up on line how to fill it in case I was doing it wrong.  Nope.  I asked another artist friend of mine to give it a try.  It also didn't work for her.  So I don't know what its problem is and in spite of the rave reviews some have for the pen I'm not going to spend any more time trying to figure it out.  

In the meantime I've been using technical pens that work ok but they aren't refillable so when the ink is used the pens have to be tossed when empty... something I'm trying to get away from.  I ordered two new pens to try at the beginning of this year.  One is a highly recommended fine point Lamy (made in Germany) and the other a Platinum Carbon Desk Fountain Pen, super fine (made in Japan).  

First impression of the Lamy - very smooth but I should have ordered the xtra fine point. The fine tip is larger than I would prefer to work with.  I ordered the refill converter - that's sweet.  I like the cap - feels secure, excellent quality.  




First impression of the Platinum Carbon Desk Fountain Pen.  Love the tip.  I also ordered the refill converter for this pen so no refills necessary.  The pen works beautifully.  The only thing I don't particularly care for but is not a deal breaker is the length of the pen.  My preference is for something more compact but with that said, I find the pen to be well balanced.  It could be a matter of just getting used to it.  I don't especially like the cap.  I think I will be checking to make sure it doesn't come off until I'm sure it doesn't come off.  

The fact that I can refill both pens reservoirs without any fuss is a huge plus in my book.  I'll use the Noodler ink I bought for my Noodler pen that's fired.  Ok, I'm off to drawing now.  😊

I only randomly add to this blog so if you want to catch my posts as soon as they are published click on the subscribe button at the top of the page or Follow by clicking on the follow button. 

No comments:

Post a Comment