Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Something fun

I have a funny story on this image. I cut some ATC (artist trading card) size cards from Duralar film to play with them while I was out of town. Curious what the difference would be, I grabbed my set of Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor colored pencils to test techniques, blending, application, etc. I totally forgot when I removed the fugitive colors from the set when I got them years ago, left was a VERY limited range of colors to work with in this brand so when I went to start on this image I realized the purple flower wasn't going to be purple because none of the pencils in that range of color had passed the lightfast tests.  And since I didn't check the set before packing, that's all I had with me to work with. So it's now a red iris.
 

This piece is sold.


 

Rembrandt Polycolors are an oil based pencil so it went on the film different from the wax based pencils. I rather like how they went on but the limited pallet will keep me from using them much, if at all on film in the future. In the end my official opinion is the Caran D'Ache Luminance pencils out performs the Lyra Rembrandt Polycolors. Plus I like having a complete range of colors to work with in the Luminance. The limited pallet thing was challenging because it's almost impossible to blend on the surface of Duralar because it only accepts maybe 3-4 layers of colored pencil. One thing I did learn when the film reaches it's saturation point and won't accept another layer of Polycolor, the film will accept another layer of Luminance OVER the Polycolors. Handy to know for corrections.

No comments:

Post a Comment